Yield: 6 portions
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 310 ml (1 1/4 cup) fine cornmeal
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) baking soda
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground cumin
- 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground coriander seeds
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) canola oil
- 30 ml (2 tablespoon) honey
- 1 egg
- 250 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 1 Pork Shop’s Pepe sausage, cubed
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) old cheddar, shredded
- Preheat the oven at 350 F and place the rack in the middle position.
- Grease a 4x8” loaf pan with butter and line with parchment paper and let excess paper hang on both sides.
- In bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Put aside.
- In another bowl, mix the oil, honey, and egg with a whisk until smooth and well-blended. Add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk until well-blended. Add the sausage and cheese and mix. Pour in the pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack. Slice the bread before serving.
Avocado and tomato salad
- 6 Kumato tomatoes, cubed
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, to garnish
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients. Season.
- Top cornbread slices with the salad and cilantro.